March 29, 2019
The Center for Teaching & Learning and the Teaching and Learning Committee joined together for the 5th Annual Teaching and Learning Conference at Dixie State University, and it was once again successful. The purpose of this conference was to provide an opportunity for DSU faculty and staff to share and learn best practices, innovations, and lessons to promote active teaching and learning on campus.
This year CTL used EventsXD app instead of a printed conference schedule, making it easier for conference attendees to view the schedule in various ways. This is the link to the website, although the app is more user friendly.
- Conference Welcome: 8:30 – 9:00 am, Gardner Student Center Ballroom. Conference introduction and welcome by Roger Hale and Bruce Harris
- Small Group Activity: 9:00 – 9:45 am, Gardner Student Center Ballroom
- Concurrent Sessions: 10:00 – 11:50 am, Udvar-Hazy Building Classrooms
- Lunch: 12:00 – 12:30 pm, Gardner Student Center Ballroom. Catered lunch was served for attendees who registered in advance.
- Keynote address: 12:30 – 1:30 pm, Gardner Student Center Ballroom. Keynote addresses by Alex Chamberlain and Matthew Sanders
Here is a recap of on a few of the insightful presentations:
- Glenn Webb: 50 Things I Teach Presentation
- Olga Pilkington: Popularizing Research Findings Presentation
- Wendy Schaztberg: Using Survey Prompts to Promote MetacognitionPresentation
- Scott Miles: Active Class from Day 1Presentation
- Teri Brandenburg & Ethan DeCeuster: OTC Presentation
- Kris Cunningham & Janna Neville: DSU Total Engagement The 4 Cs of 21st Century Learning Presentation
- Judy Scott: Ways to Link the Course Learning OutcomesPresentation
- Janet Campbell: Student Centered LearningPresentation
- Bryant Smith: Active Learning on the RoadPresentation
- Matt Harris: Faronics Insight BrochureDownload Handout
- Matt Harris: Faronics Insight Computer Lab Faculty RecommendationsDownload Handout
- Rik Andes: What Works? Let the Students ChoosePresentation
- Bruce Harris: Vision 2025 Presentation
Pre-conference Mingle and Check-In: 8:00 – 8:30 am, Gardner Student Center Ballroom
Pick up your name badge, sign in and continental breakfast will be provided (coffee, juice, pastries, etc).