Dixie State University is currently paying a yearly subscriptionfor two great resources produced by Magna Publications that provides access to hundreds of professional development video seminars (for faculty, staff, and administrators) ranging in length from 20 to 90 minutes.
The first resource is called Magna Commons and provides access to hundreds of professional development seminars ranging in length from 60 to 90 minutes. The second resource is called Mentor Commons and provides access to 20-minute videos. As a DSU employee, you have access these great resources. The easiest way to access these resources is through the CTL Resources Canvas Course. Below are instructions regarding how to activate your subscription manually (several more steps).
In addition, Magna Publications offers a free e-newsletter called Faculty Focus that includes articles on topics such as effective teaching strategies for the college classroom, faculty development, academic leadership, etc. Below are instructions regarding how to sign up for the free newsletter.
Instructions to Access Magna and Mentor Commons:
STEP 1: Activate your subscription
- Go to www.magnapubs.com/sitelicense/registration.html?v=dixie0205
- Enter the information in each of the required fields. In the Authorization Code box, enter the group Authorization Code DIXIE183P and click Submit. You only have to enter this code once.
STEP 2: Explore the Magna Commons and Mentor Commons seminars
- If the site license registration was completed successfully, you should see the screen below (except for the red box outlining the the website address http://www.magnapubs.com).
- Click on the link that is outlined by the red box (http://www.magnapubs.com) or click on the following link:
- Select “My Account” from the menu in the upper right corner, next to the Log Out option.
You do NOT need to fill out the Account Information section unless you wish to. Do NOT edit anything in the Email, Username, or Reset Password section of the Account Information screen.
- Select “Subscriptions” from the “My Online Access” menu on the left-hand side to view the subscriptions available to DSU employees.
- Click on either the Magna Commons link entitled “View On-Demand Videos” or the Mentor Commons link entitled “View On-Demand Videos.”
Instructions to Sign Up for the Faculty Focus eNewsletter
- If you are signing up for Faculty Focus newsletter immediately after signing up for Magna and Mentor Commons you will find Faculty Focus under the Free Resources option in the upper right hand side of the main menu. If you are signing up for the Faculty Focus newsletter separately from Magna and Mentor Commons, visit www.facultyfocus.com
- Enter applicable information in the box on the upper right-hand side of the screen titled “Sign up for our free newsletter!” and click “Sign up!”
- You will be sent an email to confirm your request for the subscription and confirm the email address.
- You are now signed up for the Faculty Focus e-newsletter. Enjoy!