Questions for Your Department
A VIP in any Department: The Secretary/Administrative Assistant
You will discover very quickly that the department secretary/administrative assistant is one of the most important people in your department. They typically know more about how the department runs than anyone else. If the department secretary/administrative assistant is on your side, many problems will be easier to resolve, and some may never even appear.
Questions Your Department Secretary/Administrative Assistant May Be Able to Answer
- Besides faculty members, who else works for this department? What are their roles?
- What kind of assistance can I expect from the department secretarial staff?
- How do I request help?
- How do I obtain a research or teaching assistant?
- How do I get technology assistance (see Computer Support Representative below)
Computer Support Representative (CSR, or tech person to assist me)
- Who is my CSR, and how do I make contact?
- What can I expect from the CSR?
- What should I NOT expect from the CSR?
- What services are available?
- How do I request services?
- What will be done for me and when?
- What am I responsible for?
- Is there a list of phone numbers, office addresses, and e-mail addresses for the department and college?
- Are there emergency numbers I should have?
- What is the fax number? Where I can send and receive faxes?
- What is the department procedure for sending faxes?
- How do I get keys for department doors, labs and for the building?
- What are the combinations for any keyless entry locks?
- Do I have a keys for my desk drawer, file cabinet, and/or anything else in my office with a lock?
- Where do I receive mail?
- Do I need a key?
- How do I send: snail mail, campus mail, packages?
- What is the format for addressing outgoing mail?
- How do I send overnight mail?
- Where is food available on campus, and what are the hours?
- May I use a credit card, debit card, or a check to purchase food on campus?
- How do I use my ID card to make purchases?
- Is there a faculty lounge in the department or college?
- Is there a refrigerator and/or microwave oven available?
- Where do I get a parking permit?
- Where is the best place to park? What time do I need to get here to park there?
- What are the consequences for illegal parking?
- Is there an access code?
- What are the policies governing use of the copier?
- Is there a limit to the number of copies I can make?
- Are students allowed to use the photocopier?
Plants and Pictures
- Who pays for plants and pictures in my office?
- Who waters the plants?
- What is the policy and procedure for hanging pictures?
- Which one(s) do I use?
- Is there a color printer in the department or college?
- How do I print to the color printers at copy centers?
- Can I get a printer in my own office?
Supplies and Purchases
- Where are basic supplies that I can access?
- How do I obtain other needed supplies?
- What is the policy for purchasing books?
- What other funds are available to me?
- How do I order textbooks for my classes?
- How can I obtain any needed funding for my classes?
- How do I place materials on reserve for students to access?
- How do I get my course packets duplicated and available for students to purchase?
- How do I get access to the picture class rolls?
Technology Questions for Your Secretary/CSR
- What computer logins and passwords do I need?
- What is my DSU email address?
- How do I access e-mail?
- What if I need more computer power than I now have?
- What if I prefer a Mac/PC and the alternate is now in my office?
- How can I purchase needed peripheral devices or software?
- Can I get a laptop for either permanent or temporary use?
- What computer training is available to maintain cutting edge skills”
- How can I get server space for own web page?
- What help is available for developing my own web page?
- How can I put my syllabus online?
- How can I put other course materials online?
- How do I get access to institutional secure online sites?
- What is my phone number?
- How do I use the voice mail system?
- What is the policy on long distance calls?
- How do I get a long distance access code (so I can make long distance calls)?
- Can the department purchase/rent a cell phone for me to use for university business?
- What is the department policy for travel?
- How do I submit travel requests?
- How do I arrange university/conference travel?
- How do I arrange for air and hotel reservations?
- How do I obtain reimbursement for travel and conference attendance?
“Tour” (Ask someone in the department to give you a tour of the following)
- Faculty offices
- Classrooms frequently used
- Meeting rooms
- Where to park
- Places to eat
- Dean’s office